Friday 24 February 2017

Book Review: Conversations With Friends-Sally Rooney



I couldn't write a review for this book once I've finished it for I struggled on what to write or how many stars should I give it. 3 stars or 4 stars. I settles on 4 stars.

I really enjoyed reading this book for it expressed so many human feelings and went deep inside the mind of those who are troubled and don't know what they want in their lives or how they can express their feelings or needs.

The story is told from the point of view of Frances, the main character. So we only know how she thinks and how she tells what happens with the other characters.

The story itself started with a shocking event. Bobbi & Frances meet Melissa for the first time and she immediately invites them to her house and they stay the night there. They also meet her husband who is a famous actor. It was weird of Melissa to let strangers stay at her house from the first meeting and we also get the feeling from Frances' narration that he doesn't care who comes and who stays in his house with his wife.

After few meetings, the 4 of them become friends but Bobbi hooks up with Melissa and Frances with Nick. Frances has an affair with Nick who is married to Melissa but through out the story, we find out why Nick opened up to Frances, he starts talking to her about his life, what happened to him and why he feels comfortable being with her and talking to her.

Through the conversations with friends, we find out that the story explores many issues and feelings such as; self harm, suicidal thoughts, sadism, sex, homophobia and other social matters.

My only problem with this book is the ending, and I kept asking myself "Why we human like the people or the things that bring us agony and pain?" but the ending was very realistic even though I didn't expect it or probably like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment