Tuesday 30 August 2016

Book Review: Shades of Magic- V. E. Schwab



A Darker Shade of Magic


"Rhy hated it when Kell was forced to use blood magic, because he felt personally responsible-- he often was-- for the sacrifice that came with it. He had caused Kell great deal of pain once, and had never quite forgiven himself for it"

I was very skeptical of this book, I was worried that I will not come to like it and that my money would be wasted for nothing (I bought the 2 books together), BUT I'm glad that I did and I can't tell how deep I'm drawn to the story, characters, plot and everything related to this book. I can feel that I'm living in Red London and witnessing all these event, if not moving from one London to another (LOL). Yes, the book is that strong, the style of the writer (this is my first read for her) and how she describes the scenes, feelings, the setting and surrounding is just beyond amazing. Some books you try very hard to picture what the writer is trying to show you but not in this book, everything was easy to read and picture especially the faces of the characters. 

Let's talk about the characters, and I want to talk about the VILLAINS first because I loved them all, yes I love crazy lunatic villains especially Astrid, I thought she is awesome, loved everything about her and how freaky she is. Her brother Athos was a psycho, a very lovely psycho hehe. And last but not least Hollan who I felt sad for and sympathised with him. I kind of felt that there is good in him but the evilness controlled him.

The heroes of this book are of course Kell & Lilah. I loved those duo and thought that they'd make a great couple (maybe in the 2nd book? Can't wait to read it). Lila had this wittiness in her which made her more attractive to the reader, the stubbornness in her was well written and described, she irritated me in the first pages when she met Kell for the first time but then I fell in love with her. Now, about Kell. He is a great character/ hero but I felt that he was beaten up and felt guilty a lot. I mean, i love beaten up heroes, it makes them more sexy but not all the time. If V. E. Schwab had had cut down some of the beaten up/guilty scenes, I would have given this book 5 stars.



A Gathering of Shadows


I was going to give this book 4 stars for the lack of events but the ending made me change my mind. Don't expect this book to be as enjoyable as book one for this one lacks the great events that book one had, but this book was all about building characters and giving us a clear picture about the story. It focused more on Delilah Bard but we also come to know more about The Royal Family, about Rhy and new characters; Alucard and Ojcka. I loved Alucard a lot, i thought he's the male version of Lila and that's why they've become, let's just say friends on the ship. They don't say they are friends but you can feel it, i loved what was going on between them.

The story has been shaped in a good way in this book. We see countries/kingdoms coming together in a game to compete and show the best Magician out there. But also, we see some kingdoms eying the Antari (Kell) who has special powers and for that the King & the Queen become worried that Kell's life will jeopardise Rhy's. I felt really upset for they didn't care about Kell as much as they did for Rhy.

I can't wait for book 3 to come out at the beginning of 2017 to know what will happen in White London <3
 


No comments:

Post a Comment