Monday 7 November 2016

Book Review: Stalking Jack The Ripper-Kerri Maniscalco



"The dead speak to those who listen. Be quieter than even them"

Am I allowed to give this book more than 5 stars? It definitely deserve 5 stars and more.

This book was beyond amazing. What can I say? A combination of Historical fiction, twisted retelling, science vs. religion, women in society, and more. Kerri Maniscalco succeeded in addressing so many issues of the past and the present without making you feel bored at all. 

"Personally, I didn't think the dead would mind waiting five minutes to be cut open and explored"

Jack The Ripper has always fascinated so many people out there and I am one of them. I've read multiple books and seen many movies and I'm still intrigued how he hasn't been caught or at least known to the society or people around him.

Stalking Jack The Ripper takes a different turn than the usual story we've known before. It has prostitutes being killed and disfigured in the novel but the reason behind those killings is totally different. You can say this is a retelling of the famous criminal that terrorised the people of London long time ago, but it is used to address many different issues.

"I was a decent girl, even if I spent my spare time reading about science theories and dissecting the dead"

The language and words used in this book were beyond fabulous. The detailed descriptions of murders and anatomy of the dead bodies kept me on the edge. As if I was seeing everything in front of me. I didn't feel bored at all through out the whole story and I was determined to finish it in one day but I failed to do that because I got busy with work and family. Anyhow, I managed to finish it in 2 days *woot woot*

I LOVED the characters ALOT. What can I say? I felt so attached to Audrey Rose that I almost thought I was her in the book *crazy*. She is such a powerful character who was willing to do what she admired and loved even if it meant ruining her reputation in society and failing to be betrothed to someone who has a high rank in society. I loved how she didn't waste her time on silly society matters and focused on science which she admired.

I fell in loved with Thomas Cresswell's character, he was such a gentleman, and not in many situations. But I loved him anyways. He had this charm in the words that he has spoken in the book that made swoon. If he was a real man I'd definitely fall in love with his charm and kindness. I loved how he cared for Audrey Rose and spoke his mind no matter what. I also loved how he didn't care about what the society would think of her practicing science and helped her with her fascination.

The whole novel was built on great characters.

"Science never abandoned me the way religion had that night"

"Each time my blade met with flesh, I sinned more and welcomed it" 

This book tackled the issue of science vs. religion as I mentioned earlier, and I liked how it didn't make these two major aspects of our lives clash in the book. The ending explained that and I bow to Kerri Maniscalco for ending the matter in a brilliant way that wouldn't hurt the feelings of either religious people or scientists.

No comments:

Post a Comment