Friday 7 October 2016

Book Review: A Dragonfly in Amber-Diana Gabaldon



And I thought this series would take me forever to finish but guess what? I've read two books so far in one month and hoping to do the same in October but when I think about it, I want to slow down a bit because I don't want this book to finish.

In this book, we meet 2 new major characters: Roger and Brianna. I loved the role of Roger in this book and how he somehow knew what Claire went through or sensed something was off with her regarding the Jacobites soldiers. He also knew that Brianna was conceived in the past and somehow knew who her father was.

"Damn you. Jamie Fraser!" I said, furious. "What are you doing there anyway; it's miles from Culloden"

I don't know why Claire couldn't sense/feel/see that Jamie might have survived Culloden when she saw his grave that far away from the battle field. She should have had some doubts but she didn't.

And then we go back in time, Claire remembering what happened in France and the ghost of Black Jack following Jamie everywhere even in his dreams.

"You'll go to your death with your arse burning from my pleasure, and when you lose your bowels, it will be my spunk running down your legs and dripping on the ground below the gallows".

Damn that quote. My god, how awful is Jack RANDALL. I've never seen such a horrific villain in any book i've read in my whole life. The description of that scene when Jamie was having nightmares of Black Jack is just awful. Can't imagine someone going through that psychological pain.

Even Claire couldn't escape his horrific words and threats. When he wanted her help to fix his brother Alexander, he didn't request politely, Oh no. He came with harsh words and unbelievable description of what happened to Jamie in that prison cell.

"I have held the soul of his manhood, have taken from him what he has taken from me."

"We are linked, you and I, through the body of one him. Through him".

The characters of this series is beyond amazing. How Diana Gabaldon portrayed each one of them and developed them is beyond magnificent especially the character of Black Jack. Even when he's desperate, he's still evil and became more evil and harsh. 

Can't wait to read book 3 "woohoo"

No comments:

Post a Comment