Sunday 2 October 2016

Book Review: The Wonder-Emma Donoghue



When you think that Emma Donoghue would never write something as good as Room. Well guess what? You were wrong. Wile reading this story I was thinking "This is good but not as good as Room" and when I reached the last few pages of this book .... She has done it again!

What would you do to save a child's life?

Elizabeth Wright, an English nurse is sent to Ireland to observe and investigate Anna O'Donnel, an 11 year child, who has been living on nothing but few sips of water for four months. She has been assigned by the Committee to observe and witness if this Child is a fraud or a miracle. But what she discovers is far from fraud or miracle. 

I will not spoil the story for your for it's unique in its own way and I want you to read it and discover the hidden meaning in each sentence and word written in this book. but one can ask himself; "Are we fooled by religion or by people of religion or by people who think that religion will save their loved one by losing another?" The plot of this book is kind of complicated if you want to dig deep in each word written.

For example:

"Wiping away the stains. The sins she's committed with each part of her body." What could an 11 year old do or sin with her body? One can only imagine. And if she has done something then I'm sure it's not her fault. It could be another one's fault who is older, and mature, who knows right from wrong. But an 11 year old child is still young for sinning with her own body!

The shocking events of this book will leave you speechless and angry. I remember myself being very furious and angry at the mother Rosalyn for something she has said in the book. It frustrated me that I cursed Lib (The Nurse) for not slapping her on the face. 

The writing style of this book is beyond amazing, Emma has the gift to make you live inside the story as if you're the main character. I can't imagine what Lib was going through seeing Anna wither infant of her and not being able to do anything. I hated the parents for they didn't care much for their child or maybe they thought she's in God hands and that he knows better. I can't believe that there are people out there who still think like that. I mean I know this is a fictional story but hey, such people do exist.

Such an amazing book. Well done Emma <3

No comments:

Post a Comment