Monday 12 September 2016

Book Review: Outlander-Dianah Gabaldon



"Looking at this wanton damage I could not avoid a mental picture of the process that had caused it. I tried not to imagine the muscular arms raised, spread-eagled and tied, ropes cutting into wrists, the coppery head pressed hard agains the post in agony, but the marks brought such images all too readily to mind. Had he screamed when it was done?"

"I could no more stop myself rising to his touch than I could stop myself bleeding when he cut me"

"I lie here feeling that I will die without your touch, but when you touch me I feel as though I will vomit with shame and loathing of myself"

If I could give this book 10 stars I would. I mean where where these books hiding? This is just book one and I'm emotionally wrecked :/ I can't think of a book more vivid and clear to the eyes and mind than this one. I started with some of my favourite quotes/parts of the book, to show you the writing, the words used to describe such awful and outrageous scenes/events. 

A writer has his/her words only to make the reader see what is inside their head, to see what he/she wants us to see and to feel exactly what he/she wants us to feel. If they use the write words then they're talented and I have to say that Diana Gabaldon is more than talented in using words, playing with them and creating such images in the reader's mind.

I seriously can't tell you how I felt at the end of the book, I was enjoying reading ti with all the fighting scenes between Claire and Jamie but when I reached the last part "To Ransom A Man's Soul", I felt my hands shaking because what I was reading was horrible, what Jamie went through all his life and at the end on the hands of Black Jack Randall was more than anyone can imagine. I wonder how this will shape his character in Book 2 which I'm going to start reading soon, hopefully.

I loved the dialogues between the characters, it showed you their personality and how then it became more mature or reckless. From the dialogues you feel the development of the characters, especially Jamie's. Also Claire, how she fell in love with Jamie and refused to go back to her husband, her first true love because she felt something else with Jamie and couldn't let go of that feeling, couldn't leave him and live with the feeling being away from him.

Of course I have to praise the historical facts used this book, it was full of history, what was happening between England and Scotland and what would happen later. I learned to so many facts, words, rituals and more from this book and that's why I'm becoming to appreciate huge books because they hold a lot of knowledge and information. I used to get intimidated by huge books, but not anymore. I'm enjoying them.

If you haven't started yet with this series, then I advise you to start reading it now. But I have to warn you that it has sexual scenes, rape, language, violence and more. So read it at your own risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment