Sunday 18 September 2016

Books Review: Me Before you/After You-Jojo Moyes



Me Before You

If you're in the mood to be depressed and blue then this is the best book to get in that mood plus the current weather, you have a great setting to dive into your own world of misery and sadness. I've heard about this book, that it's sad and everything but I haven't imagined it would be THAT sad and totally depressing.

A caregiver falls in love with quadriplegic young man who was very fit and alive before he had a motorbike accident and had him on that wheelchair since then.

Will has no interest in going out and living his life because from his own point of view, he lost his life when he lost all movement in his body. There comes Lou, his new caregiver who tries her best to take care of him and makes his life as easy as possible but Will is determined to push Lou away from him just as he did with the other ones. To his surprise, Lou gets closer to him and he starts falling for her, until Will decides something that shatters Lou.

Great story, great writing, great characters. You can feel everything and everybody in this book. You somehow get to live the life of Lou and sometimes the life of Will and suffer from what they're suffering. At the end I cried but I also laughed. Loved the book.


After You

I've been waiting for this book for a very long time and couldn't believe it when I saw it on a bookstore shelf before its official worldwide release, I bought and started reading it. Now, I'm going to comment first on why people were so upset with this book? I really thought I was going to read an awfully written sequence but it was the opposite. And actually, you can't call it a sequence but more like a CLOSURE to Lou's life. This book gives a reasonable ending to Lou's life. To be honest, Lou wasn't going to have a REAL life with Will because of his disability, even if she loved him and remained loving him, he had to die in the first book so Lou can have a normal life. It was tragic yes, but very reasonable.

Moving on to After You. As I said this book is a closure to Lou's life after Will. We see her dealing with his loss in a very messy way, being scared of new feelings and dealing with Will's problems even after his death. Which I feel it was irrelevant to the story. Why give Will a daughter he didn't know about and make Lou deal with his and her mess?! That I couldn't understand and kind of didn't like.

I loved Sam's character all, I actually fell in love with him too (can't wait to see this book as a movie). Donna his partner is such an entertaining character. Lou herself is still witty and funny even though she can be a little frustrating with all her sadness and so but that's a normal thing.

I loved this book. It made me laugh, be angry, and happy at the end :)

No comments:

Post a Comment